Synod 2014 Information
November 14-15, 2014
On November 14 and 15, 2014, clergy and laity will gather for the 4th Synod of the Diocese of the Mid-Atlantic. The annual Synod is important and necessary in the life of our church. It is the legislative body of the diocese and has the authority to adopt and amend our governing Constitution and Canons, approve the budget, and elect officers to diocesan committees.
But Synod is more than just business. It’s one of the few opportunities we have to gather for worship and fellowship together as a diocese. There will be great music, Bible teaching and breakout sessions on topics relevant to today. In addition, about 14 mission agencies will be on hand in the exhibit area to explain who they are and what they do.
Here’s a brief overview of what happens at Synod:
- Synod begins Friday evening at 7:30 p.m., with the Eucharist followed by a reception in the Atrium where the exhibits will be on display.
- Saturday morning begins with Morning Prayer followed by the business portion of Synod. Lunch is provided to all who register.
The business portion concludes in the afternoon, followed by breakout sessions.
Who may attend?
All are welcome to attend any of the sessions of Synod, as well as the Friday night Eucharist. However, only clergy resident in the diocese and lay delegates from DOMA churches may vote.
If you plan to come to the Friday night Eucharist or the Saturday breakout sessions (or just drop by a look at the exhibits), no registration is needed.
However, if you would like to attend Synod as a guest or observer and stay for lunch on Saturday, please register so we have an accurate count for lunch. There is no charge for this event. Everyone who registers will receive a nametag and packet.
Clergy and delegates are asked to register so that ballots may be prepared for them.
Click here to register.
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Wytestone Suites. The cost is $85/night plus tax and includes breakfast. Please call 703-490-4100 or 1-888-747-8100 to reserve your room. Indicate that you are with the Diocese of the Mid-Atlantic, Group # 111414. Rooms at the reduced rate will be held until October 28, 2014
Synod is a major event and we need lots of volunteers to make everything run smoothly. If you would like to become more involved and volunteer please contact Heather Adams
(heather.adams@Anglicandoma.org) or click here to volunteer online.
Heather Adams is the Registrar and Event Coordinator for the Diocese of the Mid-Atlantic.
• Synod 2014 Timeline
• Synod 2014 Letter from Synod 2014 to Clergy and Wardens
• Synod 2014 180-Day Notice from the Secretary to Synod 2014
• Synod 2014 Letter from the Chair of the Nominations Committee
• Synod 2014 Letter from the Chair of the Constitution & Canons Committee
• Synod 2014 Documents
• 2014 DOMA Youth Delegate to Diocesan Synod Questionnaire
• 2014 DOMA Lay Delegate Certification Form for Congregations
• 2014 DOMA Clergy
• 2014 Synod Lay Delegates
• 2014 Synod Youth Delegates
• 2014 Synod Lay Alternates
• DOMA Constitution & Canons Committee Report: Proposed Amendments
• 2014 Synod Rule of Order
• 2014 Synod Schedule
• Proposed 2015 Budget, Bishop's Letter, and Pledge Form
• Diocesan Committees Nominations Bios and Youth Synod Delegates Bios
• Candidates for the Ecclesiastical Trial Court Q&A
• Synod 2014 Lunch Gatherings and Breakout Sessions