Clergy and Delegates gather from all over the Diocese
By Lynn Milograno
October 12-13, 2012
All Saints' Church, Woodbridge, VA
Synod 2012 was a wonderful gathering of over 250 clergy and laity hosted by All Saints’ Church in Woodbridge, Virginia. We began by celebrating Holy Eucharist together on Friday evening where we heard testimonies from two of the churches that have gone through litigation.
- The Rev'd David Jones, Rector of St. Paul’s Church, Haymarket; and
- The Rev'd Dr. Tory Baucum, Rector of Truro Anglican Church, Fairfax, VA.
The Rev. David Hanke, rector of Restoration Church in Arlington, Virginia, preached. Official greetings were brought to the Synod from:
- Bishop Dave Bena, on behalf of Bishop Julian Dobbs of the Convocation of Anglicans in North America, CANA;
- The Rev'd Allan Hawkins, vicar of ACNA’s Anglican 1000;
- The Rev'd Dan Claire, PEAR, USA greeted the synod on Saturday;
- The Rev'd Rodney Longmire representing Bishop Dan Morse of the REC Diocese of the Central States; and
- The Very Rev'd William Jenkins representing Bishop David Hicks of the REC Diocese of the Northeast and MidAtlantic.
- The Rev'd Jeff Cerar, rector of St. Stephan’s Church, Heathsville, Virginia; and
- The Rev'd Sam Ferguson, The Falls Church Anglican, Falls Church, Virginia.
- The Rt. Rev'd Dave Bena, Interim Rector, and Margaret Mann, Sr. Warden, St. Margaret’s Church, Woodbridge, VA;
- The Rev'd Robin Rauh, Rector of Church of the Epiphany, Chantilly, VA; and
- Gary French, Sr. Warden, Church of the Apostles, Oakton, VA.
Five congregations and missions welcomed into Diocese
The Synod joyfully voted to admit the following congregations and missions, with representatives also giving testimonies at Synod:
Christ Church Vienna, VA
Church of the Messiah, Chesapeake, VA
All Nations DC, Washington, D.C.
Christ Church Between the River, Yorktown, VA
Church of the Good Shepherd, Lynchburg, VA.
The Rev. Clancy Nixon, rector of Church of the Holy Spirit, Leesburg, VA and chair of the Great Commission Committee, (GCC), reported on the work of the GCC over the past year and its plans for the future.
Synod elects new committee members
Elections were held by ballot vote for two diocesan committees, the Standing Committee, four positions – two clergy and two lay, and the Constitution and Canons Committee, three positions. Those elected include:
- Standing Committee: The Rev. Becki Neumann (South Riding) and the Rev. Gray Stephenson (Grace Point), Dr. Paul Julienne (Truro) and Mr. Warren Thrasher (Truro);
- Committee on Constitution and Canons: Mr. Ken Bracy (Epiphany, Herndon), the Rev. Ralph Frye (Epiphany, Williamsburg), and Mr. Kevin Marshall (Truro).
Synod adopts 2013 budget and ratifies amendments
After lunch, Diocesan Treasurer Gary French presented the budget for 2013 which was adopted as presented.
Later Saturday afternoon, clergy, delegates and guests attended a wide variety of workshops which were recorded and will be available on the diocesan website (see Cross-section of Workshops offered at Synod in this issue of The Mid-Atlantic Messenger for more information). In addition, the Committee for Constitution and Canons presented their report to Synod. Mr. Brian Walsh, Chair, provided a brief report to the Synod of the Committee’s work and the proposed amendments to the Constitution and Canons of the Diocese of the Mid-Atlantic. The Synod unamimously voted to ratify the following amendments:
- RESOLUTION APPROVING AMENDMENT TO DIOCESAN CONSTITUTION
- RESOLUTION APPROVING AMENDMENTS TO CONFORM DIOCESAN CANONS TO PROVINCIAL CONSTITUTION AND CANONS
- RESOLUTION APPROVING CLARIFYING AMENDMENTS TO DIOCESAN CANONS CONCERNING THE COMPOSITION AND PROCEDURES OF DIOCESAN COMMITTEES AND THE ECCLESIASTICAL TRIAL COURT
- RESOLUTION APPROVING AMENDMENT TO DIOCESAN CANONS CONCERNING DEFINITIONS OF CONGREGATIONS, MISSIONS, AND MISSION FELLOWSHIPS
- RESOLUTION REGARDING NOMINATIONS PROCESS FOR CANDIDATES TO SERVE ON DIOCESAN STANDING COMMITTEE
The text of the resolutions are available here on the diocesan website.
After a closing hymn and prayer, the Synod was adjourned. Synod 2013 of the Diocese of the Mid-Atlantic will meet on November 15-16, 2013, at All Saints' Church, Woodbridge, VA.
Lynn Milograno is the Administrator of the Diocese of the Mid-Atlantic.